May 1, 1947 — A group of dedicated farmers and ranchers founded the Idaho Farm Insurance Company in Pocatello, Idaho. The company started by offering auto insurance then farmer’s liability coverage.
1950s — A decade of significant growth and change. We became a mutual company owned by its policyholders and changed our name to Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Company of Idaho. To help provide for the evolving needs of our Farm Bureau members we added life insurance, fire protections and inland marine coverage. Premiums written increased by more than ten fold during our first decade and it became necessary to relocate our headquarters to a larger building.
1960s — Farm Bureau Insurance was first to inaugurate a complete “package” policy allowing members the convenience of broad coverage with one premium, one policy and one agent. Through the 60s, Farm Bureau Insurance saw steady growth and increased financial security. We established two more companies: The Farm Insurance Brokerage for additional types of insurance coverage, and The Farm Bureau Finance Company to make financing available to Farm Bureau members.
1970s — We introduced new programs for our members including a group health plan and multi-pac which allowed members to include their employees in their insurance program. We also added new coverages for businesses.
1980s — We introduced new easy-to-read policies. Western Community Insurance Company was established to underwrite commercial and specialty lines of insurance not offered by Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance. The Idaho Farm Bureau Federation saw record membership which fueled record growth for Farm Bureau Insurance. Because of this growth, we moved our headquarters to a larger location.
1990s — A new regional claims center was built in Boise, Idaho to meet growing demands in the Treasure Valley.
2000s — Because of continued growth, Farm Bureau Insurance built our current headquarters overlooking the Portneuf Valley.