Farm Bureau Mutual Insurance Co. of Idaho
Director of Application Development
Department: Information Systems Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt Reports To: VP of Information Systems
Grade/Level: NA Amount of Travel Required: 0%
Job Type: Regular Positions Supervised: Information Services Supervisors
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday
The Director of Application Development plans, directs, and coordinates application development activities. They are responsible for driving system application decisions that align with the vision of the Information Systems Department and the company.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Develop and provide technical standards and guidance in all software design and development activities.
- Support and facilitate maintenance and upgrades of existing software applications.
- Provide design reviews and give technical recommendations.
- Support the development life cycle.
- Assist in analyzing and troubleshooting application issues.
- Create effective and applicable technical solutions that fit business needs and requirements and adhere to development best practices.
- Lead vendor negotiations when appropriate.
- Recommend new technologies to help improve productivity and effectiveness.
- Work with Project Management Office to plan, prioritize, and complete projects assignments.
- Participate in risk assessments and mitigation activities.
- Attend meetings to discuss projects, issues, and ideas.
- Participate in technical audits and ensure the implementation of the recommendations.
- Perform business presentations to management.
- Supervise Developer Team Leads and direct the development group.
- Miscellaneous tasks as directed.
- Business Acumen – Ability to grasp and understand business concepts and issues.
- Change Management – Ability to encourage others to seek opportunities for different and innovative approaches to addressing problems and opportunities.
- Confidentiality – Ability to keep sensitive information private and secure.
- Conflict Resolution – Ability to deal with others in an antagonistic situation.
- Communication – Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word and writing in a clear and concise manner.
- Decision Making – Ability to make critical decisions while following company procedures.
- Ethical – Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Honesty / Integrity – Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Judgment – Ability to formulate a sound decision using the available information.
- Organized – Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Time Management – Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines.
- Proactive – Ability to create or control a situation by causing something to happen rather than responding to it after it has happened.
- Problem Solving – Ability to find a solution for or to deal proactively with work-related problems.
- Project Management – Ability to organize and direct a project to completion.
- Professionalism – Avoid business or personal activities that present a conflict of interest. Display conduct favorable to oneself, the department, and the company.
- Working Under Pressure – Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Bachelors Degree in Computer Engineering/Science or related field.
- Experienced in different software development methods.
- High understanding of both backend and frontend side of software development.
- In-depth knowledge of various software development technologies and tools.
- Leadership skills and supervisory experience.